ASP on IIS6 (opposite question; was RE: [thelist] ASP.NET on IIS 5?)

Shane Miller smiller at callcenters24x7.com
Thu Sep 23 23:17:32 CDT 2004

To reiterate --- it was nothing obvious.

I had performed everything indicated in 812614, and several other articles.
I'm not a neophyte.

Your statement about the lockdown policy is partly true.  Yes, I had locked
the machine down tightly and also in part according to my own procedures.
All the KB articles about IIS 6, Windows2003 Server, ASP, etc were properly
applied and it still didn't work --- however, typically the various
resources don't always work on anything other than default installations, or
installations modified according to published procedures.  Departing from
the published procedures is rather sporting.

But, in conclusion:

1.  I think that the knowledge base for IIS 6 and Windows 2003 server still
has some growing to do.  That's self-evident but also true based on my
experience, having spent lots of time over the years in the KB for a number
of Microsoft products.

2.  Microsoft is deprecating "classic" asp.  Also self-evident.

Overall, I've found Windows2003 Server and IIS6 to offer unparalleled ease
for the administrator --- but there is still room for improvement in the
documentation, especially for those who work "out of the box".

Shane Miller
http://www.callcenters24x7.com