[thelist] RE: anti-spam attorney

Gary McPherson lists at ingenyus.net
Tue Oct 5 20:24:09 CDT 2004

----Original Message----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of ANDREA STREIGHT
Sent: 06 October 2004 00:15
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] RE: anti-spam attorney

> Does anyone know of a referral service I can reach via URL or
> email that would help me locate a good anti-spam attorney?
>
> I've tried calling the podunk lawyers in my city, and no one
> seems to specialize in FTC or internet law. This may be why spammers
> are so brazen. It's a real hassle trying to find anyone who knows how
> to sue them.
>
> I won't mention names, but a huge discount company sends one
> or two emails a day, I tried to "unsubscribe" but that
> function, like so many digital forms and functions, does not
> work correctly, "we have no record of your email address" is
> the message I get.
>
> No, this isn't a spoofing or phishing operation. I'm not that
> dumb. This is full-blown arrogant Spamming by an arrogant
> company. Probably offshore outsourcing involved here too. I'm angry.

Afraid I can't help you find the legal help you're after, but I'll offer a
word of advice and strongly suggest that you NEVER use the "unsubscribe me"
link from a spam source. You'll most likely just confirm that your address
is indeed alive and kicking and get yourself added to a dozen more spammers
databases. Doesn't matter how big or well-known the company is; if they were
reputable, they wouldn't be spamming you in the first place, so it's better
you just set up some anti-spam software or service to stop the unwanted
messages landing in your inbox.

All the best,

Gary