[thelist] PHP: page display issues

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Oct 14 23:10:13 CDT 2004

Julian Rickards wrote:

> It appears to me that the calendar is expanding and contracting
> because September has no data and October has data that is forcing a
> cell to expand.

Yes, it is an HTML/CSS issue, not really anything to do with the PHP.
Gregory, if you can get your hands on the New Riders book _Eric Meyer on
CSS_, it has a good chapter specifically on styling a calendar.  In a
nutshell, in the CSS you might set an explicit width and height for the
days, style the font size for links to fit the small boxes, gray out the
days on the calendar page that come before the 1st of the month and last
of the month, and perhaps highlight the current day.  Eric's book goes
into all that quite nicely, too.  With PHP, you can have the markup
generated for the current day with something like class="current-day,"
holidays with a "holiday" class, and so forth.

HTH!
--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce