[thelist] which open source CMS?

robertm-list at rmdesign.com robertm-list at rmdesign.com
Tue Oct 19 20:42:36 CDT 2004

On 19-Oct-04, at 3:30 PM, Theodore Serbinski wrote:
> So I think I've decided on Mambo as my CMS of choice to use on all
> future projects and it seems to have the biggest user base out there.

Mambo is good. One possible issue, it seems to be limited to only a
couple levels of organization.. categories and sections I believe. If
you need subsections, there may be a third party plugin I don't know.

It doesn't have much in the way of photo handling capabilities. For
example, captioning a photo is not possible. There is a plugin for
Gallery.

As a graphic designer, I have to add I've only seen one Mambo website
that didn't look amateurish. There are plenty of really awful looking
templates for sale. WordPress or Movable Type aren't what you are
looking for, but they have some nicely done templates.

But overall, Mambo is easy to use and seems to be good for small
businesses and individuals.

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ may not be entirely up to date but does a
good job of summarizing features. Most other cms sites seem to mostly
have drek posted by developers or ecstatic users.
hth

robert mcgonegal