[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

Scott Brady dsbrady at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:27:03 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:47:59 -0500, ANDREA STREIGHT  wrote:
> "Pre-selection" of boxes, boxes that are already checked prior to any user
> selection, is an abomination.
>
> Forcing options on a user violates the fundamental concept of the Web: user
> empowerment and freedom to interact or not interact, power to choose, to
> select on one's own initiative.
>
> I personally am aware of no situation where "pre-selection" is ever
> permissible, from the standpoints of ethics, usability, and credibility.

So, if the option was "Do not send me marketing e-mail" it should be
left unchecked?

There are times when checking a box by default makes sense.  Yes, my
example could have been worded "Send me marketing e-mail" and to have
it unchecked by default would have the same effect.  But is my example
really an "abomination"?  Somehow I don't think so.  If it were, would
that be found in the Book of Romans or Corinthians?

Scott