[thelist] XHTML 1.1 vs 1.0

Julian Rickards julian at jrickards.ca
Wed Oct 20 19:40:35 CDT 2004

Hey there Javier, how are you?

There are a few very simple differences between 1.0 and 1.1 including
removing <!--   --> from around JavaScript in the <head> and replacing
it with

<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
JavaScript goes here.
]]>
</script>

The other issue that I am aware of is that XHTML must be delivered as
application/xhtml+xml, not as text/html. Therefore, IE will choke on it
and (from what I have heard) will display the code instead of a web page.

There also is no such thing as XHTML 1.1 transitional, it is only
"available" in strict form so you must remove all deprecated tags and
attributes such as <font> (obviously) and align="center" and anything
that has been replaced in CSS.

I know that this is incomplete but if you can create XHTML 1.0 Strict,
then you are most of the way there but 1.1, with its requirement for the
HTTP delivery method, is a hinderance to its widespread use.

HTH,

Jules