[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Thu Oct 21 12:10:56 CDT 2004

   Call me a dunce, but with options like those, I have to wonder if *you're* doing some trolling here.  Really, now... why would you have a checkbox for any of those?  Wouldn't you just say "plus you get frequent flier miles and free shipping!" in your introduction?

   And the first one is so ridiculous that I shouldn't even have to comment on it.  That kind of option is about the same as "click here to unsubscribe"; I wouldn't touch that business with a ten-foot cat5 cable.

   The point in all this is that, according to some trustworthy usability standards, you should use checkboxes to give the option of doing things outside the normal flow or process (free shipping?  Come on.), and that their "off" state indicates that no action will be taken.  Steven may not have expressed that in the most ideal way, but it seems pretty obvious even so.   Next up:  why hidden frames are evi-- ah, never mind.