[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

Greg Holmes greg.holmes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:37:02 CDT 2004

Peter Brunone wrote:
>Call me a dunce, but with options like those, I have to
>wonder if *you're* doing some trolling here.  Really, now...
>why would you have a checkbox for any of those?
>Wouldn't you just say "plus you get frequent flier miles
>and free shipping!" in your introduction?

Hey, I said the examples were just for fun.

>Steven may not have expressed that in the most ideal
>way, but it seems pretty obvious even so.

The fact remains, checkboxes *always* have a default
state, whether you specify the default or not.  You
are choosing a default to present to the user, even if
you don't think about it.  I wasn't the one making the
blanket assertion about what the default should be.

Greg Holmes