[thelist] General Statement - There's Bugs in Everything

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Oct 22 08:31:23 CDT 2004

> One of the "big wigs" surprised me yesterday with a comment
> that "There's bugs in everything." I took this in lieu of web
> development:
>
> Although I whole heartedly agree with him, I open a
> discussion as to ... why?

Couple reasons come quickly to mind: first, because sometimes good
enough really is. Why nail down every flaw if the tool works well
enough? Also, yeah, people make mistakes, even the smartest, best
intentioned people. Also, when someone who signs your paycheck says it
has to be done yesterday and you stay up for three days straight working
on it because that's just how it is (not in *my* world, but in some)
mistakes are inevitable.

Sometimes it's methdology. Vague, incomplete, or conflicting specs,
especially in a team environment (as opposed to a single coder) will
almost inevitable lead to stuff that doesn't work.

Read the other Joel's stuff: http://JoelOnSoftware.com/ - endless
reference to why things often don't work, and how to avoid it in your
own work. One of my favorite reads.

joel