[thelist] XHTML 1.0 Strict -no target attribute allowed?

Courtenay court3nay at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 00:28:56 CDT 2004

Here's an interesting modification I just thought of.. I have a pet
peeve - I hate it when links open in a new window. In fact, if I want
them to open like that, I middle-click in firefox to open in a new
tab, so _blank is redundant, and an annoyance, (yes I know you can get
an extension for this, but it messes with download and javascript
debugger windows).

I don't want to start a default-checkbox war here, but here's a little
workaround, if anyone's interested (or can fix it up a bit),

put a checkbox at the top (or bottom) of the page that says
 "open new links in new window" thus:

<input type='checkbox' id='opennew' onchange='OutLinks();'
checked='checked'>Open links in new window

then in your code
function OutLinks() {
  var wlhref = window.location.href;
  var dlinks = document.links;
  for (var i=0; i<(dlinks.length); i++)
   if ((dlinks[i].href.indexOf(wlhref)==-1))
      if (document.getElementById('opennew').checked)
       dlinks[i].target = '_blank';
     else
       dlinks[i].target = '';
  }
}

You could probably adjust the code to check for your domain (regexp
for a generic function i guess) and open 'true' external links as
well.......