[thelist] General Statement - There's Bugs in Everything

Helen helen at helephant.com
Mon Oct 25 18:04:46 CDT 2004

Jono wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Ken Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Someone on this list once said that applictions should never ship with
>> bugs - my personal opinion is that that particular person simply isn't
>> aware of the bugs in their applications - any non-trivial application
>> these days has "bugs" in it. Whether they are really coding errors, or
>> the result of other factors (eg misunderstandings or incomplete
>> communication between end user and developer) is another issue.
>

> I've gotta' disagree.  We have/are constantly developing a CMS, and
> updates and revisions are deployed to our current clients every now
> and then with more features and enhancements.  Those new builds are
> not installed until they are tested to the bone, and all bugs are
> worked out.  I have spent hundreds of hours over the past few months
> running this CMS through every conceivable situation and function,
> once all of these situations and functions are working, the new build
> is uploaded.  Of course this CMS is released into a controlled
> environment, but the end users, for the most part, have free reign to
> do as they please with the CMS and it's content after deployment.

I think the problem with that is that one day someone's probably going
to do something with your software that you've never even thought of, no
matter how good your testing is. You could argue that you just can't try
to catch bugs out of the scope of what you think your system is used
for.. but isn't that's really saying that no software is ever perfect?

       Helen