[thelist] RE: checked or unchecked boxes

Scott Brady dsbrady at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:57:37 CDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:57:06 -0500, ANDREA STREIGHT  wrote:
> I'm only going to say this one more time (I hope)...

And I'm only going to this one more time (I hope)

> Users are in a hurry. Users are in a hurry. Users are in a hurry. (3x)
>
> They may inadvertently not notice a box is conveniently "pre-selected" for
> their web using pleasure.

You seem to have this idea that a checked selection is inherently a
"negative" option for a user.  There is nothing inherent in an
unchecked checkbox that makes it a benign choice.    They may
inadvertently not notice a box is conveniently "pre-deselected" for
their web using pleasure.

As someone else pointed out, the idea that a pre-checked box is
ABSOLUTELY wrong isn't correct. If a pre-checked box results in
nothing happening (the benign choice) then it should be.

> Direct marketing pros have been through all this decades ago.

See, here's part of the problem.  I think you have this idea that a
checkbox is just used to turn spam on or off (because that seems to be
the only example you can provide). There are plenty of other uses for
a checkbox.  One example I provided (regarding message posts on a
fairly popular web site).

> An "amazing" thread. Not if you value optimum user experience. The web
> exists for users, not web analysts or designers or marketers. User needs are
> priority.

I agree on this.  But the user experience isn't inherently "optimum"
just because all checkboxes are unchecked by default.

But, you know, if you want to keep thinking that ALL pre-checked boxes
are evil, then go ahead.

All absolutes are wrong. (even this one :) )

I'm done with this thread.

Scott