[thelist] [OT] test phone numbers

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Oct 27 04:42:03 CDT 2004

Hi all,
(Sorry for the crosspost)

I do some work for a local phone company, and this includes quality testing,
so I often have to call destinations around the world to see if a connection
can be made, and if the voice quality is ok.

I was wondering if any of you could help me out with some test phone numbers
to make this easier.
What i'm looking for are numbers in as many countries as possible (also UK/US)
which will play a message when I dial them, for instance:

Companies that have 'press one for English' type messages.
Free-phone info message numbers.
Local rate info message numbers.
Defunct mobile numbers that will still play a message (from lost or stolen
mobiles etc)
Designated telco test numbers.
VOIP test numbers.
etc.
NOT premium-rate numbers please.

If you know any like that, anywhere, please let me know - on or offlist.

Thanks,

Richard Bennett.

<tip>
Probably most of us already have the Firefox browser in daily use, but you
might have missed the webdeveloper plugin:
http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/
It's worth it just for the form functions alone - a real timesaver!
</tip>