[thelist] Switching back to Mac

Debes, Brandon bdebes at bellarmine.edu
Wed Oct 27 07:57:50 CDT 2004

> I guess my question is, do any of you do real work in both
> environments, and if  so,  what are some of the
> drawbacks/advantages vs. staying with one platform.

My single biggest challenge is calendaring.  I am a Mac user in an all
Windows environment.  With all the steps Apple has taken to make OS X
usable in a MSFT world, it's not as bad as you'd think.  SMB/CIFS
support is great, Mail.app plays well with Exchange (the mail side),
etc.

But I can't work here without access to my Exchange calendar, and
support there is spotty.  There are third party apps to integrate iCal
with Exchange, but they aren't great.  I solve this by keeping a Safari
tab pointed to our Outlook Web Access site, and manage my schedule in
there.

Otherwise, you should be fine these days.  Admittedly that wasn't nearly
as true in the pre-OS X days.

> Also looking for general thoughts on doing flash and php work
> on a Mac.

Like you said, it's hard to find anything as nice as BBEdit.  And that's
even truer with some of the new features in version 8.

Brandon