[thelist] Tracking users & CSV files

Tim Burgan email at timburgan.com
Thu Oct 28 03:45:11 CDT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to use PHP to track users paths on my website. The purpose of
the tracking is to test results from search engine clicks and how much
success is directly related to Google AdWords.

  1. I want to track where users come from.
         * If from a search engine, I what to know what keywords were used.
         * Same as above for tracking if Google AdWords was used.
         * If somewhere else, just record 'other'.
  2. Also track whatever else. Such as click on a particular link, or
     purchase a certain item.

AdWords provides a good CSV file in the form:
<http://www.timburgan.com/csv.gif>

What I want to do with this CSV file, is for PHP to read it, read what
keywords how what results on a specific day (given in the
Click-Thru-Rate column), and then for my website tracking to add to the
CSV results and show which users from Google AdWords (by detecting the
keywords they used, and the date) then go on to do whatever I decide to
track.

How would I go about doing something like this? I'm quite confident in
my PHP programming, but I need a hand in planning and figuring out how I
actually go about doing this (as a flowchart, or in pseudocode maybe)?

How do I track information from users in relation to how they get to my
site, and the keywords they used?

How do I go about reading a CSV file, and interpreting the information
in it, then taking those results and combining them with my tracking
results to produce a graph showing which Google AdWords clicks are
turning into specific results within my site?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any ideas and assistance.

Regards

Tim Burgan

--

Tim Burgan.