[thelist] CSS Background

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Fri Oct 29 09:02:16 CDT 2004

> This is how it looks now:
> http://www.kevinswitzer.com/newsite/uci.htm
>
> And I want it to look like this without having to put in a bunch of <p>
> tags to make the content longer than the side bar:
> http://www.kevinswitzer.com/newsite/uci2.htm
>
> I've tried putting the middle three columns in a container div with a
> background:#FFF; but that's not working.

I would do this: Create a background image to take care of the
background colour of the left and center columns - ~150 pixels of blue
and a wide strip of white (say 1500 pixels or more, to cover those with
high-res monitors). Then create another background image to take care of
the right column - a wide strip (~1500px) of transparent pixels and a
~150 pixel strip of the greenish-beige colour. Then create two container
divs, use the first image as the background of the first container div
and the second image as the background of the second container div.

This should allow you to do what you want and keep your semi-liquid
layout. It is pretty complicated, so hopefully someone can suggest
something simpler, but if not, I think this should work for you.

HTH

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer

VOTE!  ::  http://www.declareyourself.com/