[thelist] Open source licensing and web development

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon Nov 1 10:44:36 CST 2004

This is a short article with lots of good links re: copyright on the
internet. Kasimir - it seems to me that you need to learn what the
definition of "work for hire" is in your country. Also, remember that in
order to copyright something it has to be unique enough to warrant a
copyright.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/webcopyr.html

If your bulletin board is something you've developed that's unique and not
based on anyone else's copyrighted/copylefted code, then you can choose to
copyright them as GPL or whatever.

Re: graphics - those are usually unique to a client and I usually hand them
over. Icons are different - it's essentially a re-usability factor for me.
If I create something for a project that's very reusable and the client
wants exclusive rights to it, then they need to pay a fair price for those
rights.

Hth
-chris
http://www.semioticpixels.com