[thelist] Switching back to Mac

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Mon Nov 1 13:44:37 CST 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 12:39pm, E. Partee wrote:
> MAC emulation on the PC has come a long way. <noflame>I personally
> loathe Macs,</noflame> but I'll use a 'fake' one if I have to. PearPC
> can run a Mac OS on your plain ol' windows or linux box. Read about it
> here:
> http://sourceforge.net/potm/potm-2004-11.php

This is hardly a viable option as it is (at best) beta software and the
developers themselves state that the emulated speed is either 1/500th
or 1/15th of the host system. To say that Mac (not MAC as it is not an
acronym, rather, short for Macintosh) emulation has come a long way is
a grand over statement unless you mean compared to nothing at all. The
emulation of a PC via Virtual PC, while not speedy, is a viable tool to
test web sites under development using a single machine. On my
Powerbook G4 (867mhz - hardly a speed demon) the emulation is that of a
266mhz pentium - a whole lot better than 1/15th! That puts it in the
useable arena and is fine to check for rendering trouble and plug in
functionality.

In addition (and this is not a flame) how can you "loathe" Macs? That
sound a bit defensive to me - feeling insecure, perhaps?

Regards,
Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
email: gw at gwcreative.com
web: http://www.gwcreative.com
tel: 401.286.9228

Communications and the Art of Simplicity