[thelist] Installing an SSL Certificate

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 23:01:20 CST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:04:30 -0600, Michael Harrington <> wrote:
> I am new to SSL. I have a Web page I have built for a client
> (hopehousedaycare.org) and will be collecting information for online
> donations. The page that collects this (hopehousedaycare.org/gifts.htm)
> works OK and the results are sent to a database, which can be retrieved,
> online into Excel.
>
> Before the donation pages go live, I need to install a SSL Certificate.
> When I order one, am I given something to install or does my Web hosting
> provider does the installing? The site is on Roadrunner and is their
> Windows 2000 hosting package, which has the SSL Secure Server feature.

The weekend so you may get a slow response so will take a shot at it
for you. Not familiar with W2k but would assume it's like Apache where
you would telnet to do your work, it's called Terminal Services or
something... anyhoo, your hosting provider would be the one to do this
for you as you can break things pretty easy if you don't know what you
are doing.

Some hosting providers' Control Panels have an SSL installer, again,
check with your provider.

As far as the actual cert, every place that sells ssl's has a
different transfer procedure. You will need to ask the supplier you
purchased it from; experienced hosting people are familiar with the
major ones, some of 'em:
Equifax
Verisign
Geotrust
Thawte
GTE Cybertrust
and between the two of them will guide you through it, not much to it
really on your part, just get the ball rolling. Do a google on the
above names, the best/worst has been discussed lots, you may already
have one in mind as it seems you're doing a bit of homework to stay
ahead of the game.

cheers,

             Mark

             MG Web Services
             www.mgwebservices.ca

Your Canadian West Coast web site development and hosting solution.