[thelist] RE: Email confirmation: HTML or Plain Text?

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 14:18:47 CST 2004

> emails as hardly anyone would be able to read them. However, given
> that lots
> of people *can* still receive HTML emails, I can't see why I
> shouldn't send
> them. Given that any HTML email I send is not going to contain
> buffer
> overflow exploits (because I'm not a hacker), why am I threatening
> the
> security of other internet users by sending HTML emails?

You're running the risk of alienating (i.e. pissing off) your
audience. You may not get your complete message across. For example,
I have yahoo not display images by default. If the email looks
suspicious --or a waste of my time-- I delete, even for distribution
lists I've knowingly signed up for. If you provide an option to send
in plain text, you're doing the best of both worlds. (default to
plain text, offer HTML as a spiffy nice-to-have, IMHO)