[thelist] Sound in webpages

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Nov 11 17:07:00 CST 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 21:31, Wilma Schilder wrote:
> According to Macromedia:
>
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/

Makes me wonder though...
98% have flash...
I don't, and none of the searchengines do.
88% have Java.
I have never ever had Java on any browser in over 10 years...
55% have shockwave?
Again, I've never had it.
51% media player...
Nope - don't have it.
In fact, of the whole list I only have Adobe Acrobat

Then if we check how they got these statistics it says:
"In March 2004, NPD Research, the parent company of MediaMetrix, conducted a
study to determine what percentage of Web browsers have Macromedia Flash
preinstalled.The results show that 98.0% of Web users can experience
Macromedia Flash content without having to download and install a player."

Now, firstly I wonder how that study got them the statistics about Java,
Shockwave, Mediaplayer etc, and secondly, browser-use stats show
Mozilla-based browsers use to be somewhere over 10% at the moment - and the
Firefox versions I downloaded came without Flash pre-installed, in fact I
don't think any browsers beside IE have Flash pre-installed, so if that's the
measure they use to say 98% have Flash, I wouldn't be surprised if the true
number is more like 75%.

So what to use to play music on a website? MP3.
If you have something worth listening to put a link to the MP3 - the user can
then open it in the player of their choice, and if it was supposed to be
background music, don't bother at all.

Richard

<tip>
Using mySQL for large databases?
You can tune your mySQL database by making sure it allocates enough RAM for
its use.
The standard configurations are extremely conservative, use myhuge.cnf, and
change the key_buffer value to something like half the RAM available on your
system.
This means it will be able to keep its indexes in RAM, speeding up searches.
</tip>