[thelist] Learning JSP online or classes

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Fri Nov 12 18:25:50 CST 2004

Jono wrote:

> Thanks Hassan.  I am digging through  java.sun.com, and so far, it
> appears to be the only legitimate source for learning JSP.  I checked
> with the local Community College, and they do not offer JSP classes,
> mostly just Data Base stuff using MS products.
>
> [Snip Author=Hassan]
> "My initial recommendation would be to just install the latest 1.4.2
> JDK and Tomcat 5.0.28"
> [/Snip]
>
> As of now, I have no idea what JDK and Tomcat are

Then you don't want to learn JSP right now. I am not trying to
discourage you but you have to take things one step at a time. learning
the so called standard edition of java is essential before you start
learning the enterprise edition. JSP is just a part J2EE. Some years
back I had the misfortune of working with a bunch of people who had
plunged into JSP and servlets without learning j2se first and, it
certainly wasn't pleasent.

> .  There is one guy where I work that does all of the JSP work for an
> intranet that we have built, so I am gearing my learning towards
> Intranet/CMS work.  I have a  foundation to build on here, I just need
> to get started, like you said.

The real foundation is to learn J2SE.

> For something as complicated as JSP, I think a instructor-led class
> will be best.  I am looking through these:
> http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/java/delivery.html#instructor

I think it will have j2se as a requirement. It may interest you to know
that you can take the sun java web component developer exam only after
passing the java programmer exam.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.