[thelist] Link Rating System - Revisited

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 11:09:24 CST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:49:45 -0600, Rob Smith <rob.smith at thermon.com> wrote:
> I come to you today as a consultant,
>
> One of my clients wants a link rating system so that she can remove the
> links that aren't clicked on. I told her that she can basically look at the
> Web traffic logs and determine that same result.
>
> However, after looking at the cpanel interface, the list of URLS is only a
> top 10 list. AND at that, it references graphics too.
>
> (long sentence) Rather than make more work for myself and build this
> intricate link rating system with hundreds of little 1 -> 5 dropdown menus
> or whatever my choosing, is there a better way to approach this and still
> give the client what she wants as far as link popularity goes?

Why not just build it so that when the link is clicked on, the click
is recorded in a database? Then build a simple page where the links
and their associated click counts are displayed? No little drop down
boxes and the real popularity of links are created as people click on
the links.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd