[thelist] RegExp in ASP for validating e-mail and URLs?

Peter Bornhall bornhall at ansbjer.se
Mon Nov 15 00:47:11 CST 2004

Hi Joshua!

Your point is well aimed, and I'm sure I could have searched the web
more than I did.  However, I haven't really had the time nor the
faintest idea of how to determine if a regex I've found actually DOES
what I want it to do.  Besides, you've got to know WHAT to search for to
get the best results.

Many of you may disagree with me, but I'm not much for reusing code,
especially code I can't tell for sure what it does.  That's why I came
here in the first place.  I'd rather ask here and get something that
works instead of scouring the web not knowing what the regex does and
why, if it even works.  I did state that regular expressions is not my
cup of tea, and I would stretch as far to claim that I know hardly
anything about them.  I know(?) how to recognize them and I know they're
very powerful, but I haven't had time, or rather felt devoted enough to
spend as much time learning as needed to create (again) an *efficient*
regex (as I'm sure there are inefficient ways of using regex's too).

If anyone is still willing to help, given that most of you seem to think
that I'm out for collecting e-mail addys to be used in some nefarious
and malicious way, I'm still here.  I'm sure I could compress my
"thinking-out-loud" specs to Alex for anyone who is willing...

Otherwise, I'll happily accept links to specific pages (mail me
privately if you wish) that handles this particular question.  ASP and
regexes for making (all kinds of) URLs into clickable links in a given
string (text chunk).  Let me once again say that I'm *NOT* interested in
any kind of URL or e-mail extraction, be it from text or webpages...

Regards,
Peter Bornhall
Webmaster of www.bikesight.com