[thelist] RegExp in ASP for validating e-mail and URLs?

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Mon Nov 15 08:44:37 CST 2004

Hi, Peter,

   I'm afraid I don't know any webpages to help you, off the top of my
head. But I would comment that what you said about searching Google but
then not knowing how much to trust what you read (paraphrasing) means
that evidently you trust people on this list more to give you the
correct answer. I'd say that depends a lot on who the person is, but the
same is true for searching the web. I'd believe whatever I find more if
it is on, say, oreilly.com or one of the better known developer sites,
but not necessarily what you may read posted by unknown (to you) people
on discussion forums (including this one). So searching the web might be
more productive than you think. Try googling the same phrase you've used
for the subject of this thread.

   If it helps you any, there is a print discussion of validating email
addresses in O'Reilly's _CGI Programming with Perl_, chapter 9 (2nd
edition), and maybe other books as well. The concepts can easily be
applied to other languages, if you can at least read Perl. One caution
it makes it that although most internet email one sees is of the
name at domain.com variety, there are a lot of other valid syntaxes out
there, and what you test for depends on how serious you are about
following which specification. The book also refers to the book
_Mastering Regular Expressions_ by Jeffrey Friedl, maybe some of those
are online somewhere.

   Hope that helps a little!

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.