SV: [thelist] User perception

Andreas Wahlin Andreas.Wahlin at ufl.gu.se
Mon Nov 15 09:07:31 CST 2004

<What kinds of things do folks have trouble with on the forms? Might be
interesting to see if we can come up with ideas on how to 'foolproof'
those bits.>

Well, I might have been slightly misleading. For the examcourse, the
students should login and leave some info on what sort of exam work they
intend to do, so we can find "guides/helpers" for them. Now the thing is
that this is just some extra information for those who manage the course
in question, they still have to apply for the course using the regular
"I want to take that course"-system. This is clearly stated on the form
page but of course some people miss that, or at least wonder whether
this is the course application page or what the h*ll it is for anyway
(which is also clearly stated at the beggining of the page).

The other thing that frustrated me was instructions on how to obtain
student login (userid/password) being displayed on the loginpage, that
works pretty good. However, during a short time now we've had technical
difficulties with the loginpage, so for the moment students can log in
using only their "social security number" (approximations here), and
just today I got a mail from a student asking why their password didn't
work.
And I got quite frustrated, I mean, come on, if you fail to login, and
there's some bold italic text just above the loginpage, perhaps there's
a clue there! Heck, at least they find my e-mail adress which is in fine
print in the page footer ... I'm ok with misreadings and
misunderstandings, no matter how stupid, but when people don't make the
slightest effort and don't even bother to read (or skim) the text on the
page (it's a few lines, not even much) then I get frustrated.

There you go :)
Not to much general information to gather I suppose but it's my story.

Andreas