SPAM-LOW: Re: [thelist] User perception

chris hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon Nov 15 13:57:29 CST 2004

<quote>
my point was how we can think something is really obvious (like a big sign
with a moving graphic in the middle of the page) and users can find it
otherwise.
</quote>

Well, consider that the average american (and I imagine statistics for other
countries are similar) sees over 3000 advertisements per day. Ignoring
"obvious information" is a cognitive survival strategy that applies as much
to the giant television on the highway as it does to the blinking image on a
webpage.

It's easy to say that the form design should implicitly guide users to  use
it correctly, but that doesn't really mean anything without knowing who your
users are and what they're expectations are. If your users are non-computer
science students, they may have the expectations of new users and really,
they just have to gain experience.

-chris
http://www.semioticpixels.com