[thelist] user perception

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Nov 16 09:31:06 CST 2004

> So, only managers need to log in? Can there be two 'home' pages, one URL
> for managers, another for guests? Or, a big button that says 'Enter',
> and a 'Manager Login' below?

This is exactly what I have. I figured that the big "Enter" button would
be pretty clear, but apparently for some people it isn't :)

> Most sites have, side by side, 'Create an account' and 'Already have an
> account? Log in here:' which seems to remove any ambiguity. Either I
> already have an account, or I don't.

The problem seems to be people assuming they have an account (I have no
idea why), and complaining when the system tells them that no account
was found for them. Even though the "no account found" message also says
that they can enter as a guest and points them to the big "Enter"
button, they either don't read this or choose to ignore and send me an
email telling me there's a problem with the system.

I think my next plan of attack is to ask the client if they know why
users keep assuming they have an account. If this doesn't help, I'm out
of ideas again.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com