[thelist] User perception

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Nov 16 09:53:35 CST 2004

Jason Handby (and other folks) had interesting stuff to say about
forms and usability:

>>"Lesson 1 - Blaming the user is always easy and always worthless."

Hi Jason!

Heh. I remember those kinds of talks. However, experience and the talks
I've been too, have convinced me that it is more of a three step process:

(1) (Initial Reaction) Blame the user.
(2) (Second Thoughts) Blame/Question the designer.
(3) (Sadly, Optional) Understanding.

I've got a neat, but longwinded, example of that ... so I'll throw it
at the bottom where folks can skip it if they want.

Our head lemur, as usual, had some good stuff to say. However, I think
this time his context was a little too limited. Forms are used for a
lot more than collecting user contact data.

I mostly work building intranet 'reports'. Like it or not forms are the
primary technique for constructing flexible reports. (There are other
ways to build things - but forms seem to offer the greatest 'flexibility'
for use.) Useability is the key. Forms have to be built to be used.

* Lite use versus heavy use.  Now, sometimes the design of the form
will be different depending upon whether it is intended to be used
'once in a blue moon' - or whether it is intended to be used 'every
day / all day'.  You need to decided which to design to. You need to
consciously decide what the 'work flow' is that your form will
primarily support. You can support multiple work flows. You can design
to support multiple work flows. But, I think, in the end, you need to
select one work flow as 'primary' and focus your design on making that
work flow "easy".

* Order (and size) *are* important. I get ornery with designers who
haphazardly throw buttons on a form with no thought to how they will
be used in a 'normal' work flow. I've seen people throw same size
buttons right next to each other in a 'usage cumbersome' order:
"export" - "help" - "submit" - "back".

Is that going to be easy to work with? Constantly hunting for the third
small button in a row of four that are all the same size?

If your "submit/enter/execute" button is the most important button on
that form (and in English) ... make it four times the size of the other
buttons and put it in the most sensible upper left position available
for users facing the screen. (Adjust for other [possibly RTL] languages.)
It's "location, location, location". Some parts of screen real estate
are worth more than others. [1]

* Naming is important too. This is more of a "know your audience" item.
Suppose you are building a timesheet entry form for offshore oil rig
workers. Which button name is going to cause you fewer headaches?
"Tender Input" ... or "Enter My Dang Timesheet So I Get Paid!"

[I once had a rather insecure Asst. VP as a client ... he had significant
emotional issues with controls marked ... "submit".  (I don't *EVER* want
to know the reasons why.) However, I'm now more sensitive to user control
naming issues.]

* Limit LOVs. There is a special place in he** for people who write
requirements to "add a dropdown control with the name of every customer
who has ever purchased our product" ... and for the designers who
build to those specs.  Ever been to a training class where the
instructor says "Whatever you do - don't push *that* button!"? I have.
[2] It's because some yahoo build an LOV with 100,000+ values in it.
Hoser!

That's anti-usability. Use categories. Create categories. Find another
technique. Do not make your users wait interminably for unusable LOVs
to load. [3]

* Add an 'instructions' button. [Heck, add a 'documentation' button while
you are at it.] They don't 'cost' much ... and if they save you a few
calls down the road they are worth it.

[1] See, for example, any statistical study on "menu placement". Some
locations are 'more popular' than others. In fact, placement has been
shown to be statistically significant in 'influencing' customer decision
making. Interesting reading.

[2] Standard SAP functionality has/had quite a few of these. "Part Number",
for example, is one that is (or was) available from a number of screens.
I maintain that it is bad design.

[3] LOV = List Of Values

HTH,

RonL.

<longwinded example>
I once ran an 'exit interview' survey for a telephone company who wanted
to find out why folks were cancelling leased-line services like T1.

It was simplicity itself: "Hi. You used to buy this from us. Now you don't.
How come?" [Write down respondent comments verbatim.]

I subcontracted the field work out. Once they completed 300 surveys they
sent them to me to read.  So I spent a day reading and categorizing the

I had read about 20 of them when I hit one that said "Because you raised
the price." WTF? I knew for a fact that the rate for that service hadn't
changed in 7 years.  Obviously ... (Initial Reaction) ... that customer
was a moron.  I kept reading.

After another three dozen, I hit a second response: "Because the price
went up." Uh oh! Another idiot? Is that likely? ... (Second Thoughts) ...
I went back and re-read the survey I had written. Was it imprecise in
some way? ... No. It was pretty straightforward. But now this is beginning
to nag at me.

Very close to the end of the stack of 300 I hit a third, and (thankfully)
longer, response: "Because the price went up. You said the mileage was
longer - but I've been in this same location for years. I shouldn't have
to pay more because you moved your office!"

Ah Ha! ... (Understanding) ... We hadn't moved an office - but now I
understood what was going on. Obviously we had a bored group of engineers
somewhere that were keeping themselves busy by recomputing leased-line
mileages! They were correcting bad data ... and ticking off customers!

[Interesting ethical dilemna] What do you do now?  Do you tell the
engineers to stop? You're losing some of the customers where the
historical pricing error had been in the customer's favor. But on the
other hand, telco rates are set by law - so it's illegal to charge
the wrong rate.  Hmmmm.  Toughie.

</longwinded example>