[thelist] user perception

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Nov 16 11:57:53 CST 2004

> Obviously I can't see the system but here's the impression I get from
> the steps you've described.
>
> See big ENTER button
> Try to login
> Get told I don't have an account
> See big ENTER button again
>
> "If it didn't work for me the first time why should it work the second?
> I'm lost. I'm going to email the administrator to find out why it's
> broken."

No, it's like this:

*GUESTS' LOGIN*

Guests do not need an account or password to add or edit documents. Any
documents you add or edit will be submitted to site administrators for
approval.

[Enter]

*CONTENT MANAGERS' LOGIN*

Content Managers are responsible for maintaining specific sections of
the website and have been assigned a password. If you are a content
manager, please enter your email address and password below. If not,
please use the Guests' Login, above.

Email: ______________
Password: ______________
[ ] Remember my email address on this computer

[Login]

_Forgot your password? Click here to have it emailed to you._

>> I think my next plan of attack is to ask the client if they know why
>> users keep assuming they have an account. If this doesn't help, I'm
>> out of ideas again.
>
> I'd say you should have done this a long time ago. Design does not exist
> in isolation. If you don't understand why your users are having a
> problem, how can you possibly attempt to solve it?

At first I assumed it was just a few users having a problem, but it
seems like too much of a coincidence now, which is why I'm just thinking
of this plan of attack now.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com