[thelist] RE: switch from IE to Firefox?

Richard Harb rharb at earthling.net
Wed Nov 17 15:32:20 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: ANDREA STREIGHT
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 6:07:04 PM
> I appreciate all the great input on this topic.

> I'll go ahead and do the switch today sometime. Thanks for all the
> suggestions on customizing with options.

> Not to start a new thread, but someone asked what I disliked about Adobe
> Acrobat. See Jakob Nielsen's useit.com alert boxes on this issue.

> I hate PDF files that are not labelled as such, so when I click on a file, I
> get the Adobe message to accept or decline, then I decline, and my computer
> freezes up, and the damned program keeps trying to run on my computer, so I
> have to shut it down just to stop the freaking thing.

> Large amounts of text to put online? Need to use PDF files? Maybe. But I
> don't like em.

Neither do I ... And although it is fairly common practice I really hate it when
PDF documents are displayed inline in the browser.

Then again there's an easy fix in Firefox for just that: In the "Options dialog
// Downloads" I disabled the PDF plugin and also set the default action for
Adobe Acrobat Document to 'Save to Disk'.

---

Though .. the situation you describe is a different problem. AFAIK that specific
dialog only pops up the first time you 'activate' this Adobe application -
unless you have limited access to the registry in your profile. Then that entry
that tells Acrobat that it's been used before can't get set and the dialog is
presented all over again. To remedy you would need to elevate your priviledges
in your profile.

(somebody correct me if I'm wrong or misinterpreted the issue)

Richard