[thelist] Page looks different in FF and IE

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Nov 17 16:56:17 CST 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 2:42 PM, Minh Lee Goon wrote:

> I'd like to make Firefox my default browser (Is it more standards
> compliant or is IE just more lenient?), but that's hard when my page
> looks how I want it to in IE, but not in Firefox.

Firefox is FAR more standards-compliant than IE.  The easiest way to
make a site that looks (reasonably) the same in multiple browsers is to
get it looking the way you want in a standards-compliant browser and
then tweak it for the others (mostly IE, though I have had to do small
tweaks for Opera, among others).

Personally, I build the page checking it in Safari, crosscheck in
Firefox (there's usually little difference between them), then wrangle
the CSS for IE, then throw in some @import tinkering to make it degrade
gracefully in Netscape 4.

 From where you're standing (already built in IE), I would Quit IE and
not look back until you have the page looking right in Firefox.  Then
will get it going right in IE again.

It all depends on the complexity of your site, of course.  Good Luck!

Steve