[thelist] Data validation (Best Practice) - asp/sql server

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Thu Nov 18 09:05:21 CST 2004

Hi all, I'm back to collect some more information from all the gurus out there. This time around I'm curious about best practice for data validation.

My current practice is to check against required fields before submit using javascript. I then add an additional line of defense for required fields with ASP conditional statements and perform all data validation through vbscript as well. If all checks out I run the transaction.

I became a bit curious yesterday when I ran into a "Best Practice for Validating User Input" article at MSDN that points out...

*> Use stored procedures to validate user input.

I'm wondering the cons and pros of using the database for validation versus vbscript?

Thanks for any information.