[thelist] Data validation (Best Practice) - asp/sql server

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Nov 18 17:24:56 CST 2004

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Steve Lewis
: Sent: Friday, 19 November 2004 5:45 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Data validation (Best Practice) - asp/sql server
:
: Michael Pack wrote:
:
: > I became a bit curious yesterday when I ran into a "Best Practice
: > for Validating User Input" article at MSDN that points out...
: >
: > *> Use stored procedures to validate user input.
:
: Vendor Lock: You cannot change persistence system vendors (MSSQL aint
: cheap.  It isn't even competitive) because of your dependance on the
: stored proc syntax.  (Guess why the vendor recommends you lock
: yourself to their product.  HINT: That is how they stay in business in
: the competitive database market.)

Well, compared to Oracle, or DB2, I'd say SQL Server is fairly competitive -
we do plenty of work for companies that are using SQL Server.

Microsoft doesn't stay competitive in the enterprise RDBMS market by somehow
tricking people into writing validation code in stored procedures - please
stop being disingenuous.

The article, as Peter points out, deals with SQL Server apps. If this is some
kind of client-side app (eg you have some fat VB client on the desktop), then
you would need to consider having something on the server to validate input
(whether a component sitting in front of SQL Server, or inside SQL Server
itself) because (generally) you can't trust input from anything running on
the client.

Cheers
Ken