[thelist] RE: link spam a new spam

ANDREA STREIGHT astreight at msn.com
Thu Nov 18 18:56:53 CST 2004

Just to clarify for everyone who was confused or bemused:

No, this is not "a Microsoft smart tag" nor is it a SOP of Microsoft. Show a
little mercy, please.

No, I don't think I have any spyware, nor is this a typical spyware
procedure, as far as I know, but I'm no expert on this topic. Others
probably know tons more about spyware than I do.

No, it doesn't seem to occur on Firefox, judging from anecdotal evidence
reports on this list. Busted! I haven't had time to install Firefox, I got
caught up in a project on Seniors and Internet Dangers, a presentation I'm
doing for some local organizations.

Yes, it seems to be a weird form of advertising, which Roger Ly has
explained as IntelliTXT from VibrantMedia.com.

Yes, it is the word "entrepreneur" and "non-profit" that contain the foul
beast.

Yes, it is a type of "spam" in that it is: unrelated to the topic,
commercial in nature, deceptive and counter-intuitive, in that user
expectations are violated, a big mistake in web design, unless there's a
darn good reason for it. Advertising is not a darn good reason, IMHO.

So where is the next pollution of the web coming from? I sure hope this
idiotic practice doesn't catch on. I dislike, avoid, and ignore ALL
click on them when they lie hidden in hypertext link text.

Wow.

Steven Streight
Web Usability Analyst/Web Artist
astreight at msn.com