[thelist] site check

Chris spam at cimmanon.org
Sun Nov 21 11:47:56 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:16:37 -0600, Marianela Queme <mqueme at gmail.com>
wrote:

> hello,
>
> I just finished a small site, and would like to hear you comments please.
> www.guatearte.com/inforum/inforum/
>
> suggestions are welcome. (the site is in spanish though)

The nav bar at the top looks odd.  There isn't enough contrast between the
solid vibrant orange stripe across the top and the dull orange gradient
lower portion.  It almost looks like you couldn't match the colors.  Also,
the "current link" highlighting is inconsistant as to how much of the
image is yellow.  Some of them leave gaps between the dotted dividers,
while others go right to the divide.  None of the text is centered between
the divides.  There isn't enough contrast between the yellow background of
the "current link" status and the white text, either.

There is no alt text anywhere.  Do you know what that looks like in Lynx?
[image] [image] [image] [image].  The blind will be unable to use the
navigation efficiently as a result because there is no indication for them
as to where those linked images point to.

Your forms really need some labels, particularly on the radio options if
nothing else.  It will make it much easier to select those options.  Also,
the error checking for the form on "Formulario de inicio" in english.

I'm using Opera and don't see the news thing mentioned by the others.  All
I see is an image that says "Noticias" and an out of place big blue
square.  Turns out it is 100% controlled by JavaScript with no fall back
incase a browser doesn't support the JS and no noscript information.   The
JavaScript generates an iframe with no noframe content.  Is it really
necessary?

There's no way for people without Flash to get past the splash page.
Search engines don't have Flash, you know.

--
chris