[thelist] Non-Western characters -- what character encoding to use?

Francois Jordaan Francois.Jordaan at wheel.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 08:32:00 CST 2004

Hi all,

If HTML templates for an international site has to cope with a large number
of languages, including non-Western ones, what character encoding should I
use? Languages may include Chinese, Japanese and Russian.

Currently, I have
charset=iso-8859-1" />

Is that adequate? Should I use UTF-8? Or another?

I assume, also, that the server will have to be set up to serve pages in the
same character encoding.

francois