[thelist] Link Masking?

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Tue Nov 23 09:22:52 CST 2004

> She doesn't want other people to "copy" her
> links and replace their affiliate key in place of hers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you mask the URL but the link eventually goes to the
correct URL, eg:

www.some-other-site.com?affiliate=5

Couldn't an unscrupulous affiliate competitor read that URL from the final
destination address bar, determine that the affiliate code is 5 and then
steal the other links from your client site? You might want to check that
out first.

I suspect that unless the masking occurs on the final destination site,
which your client doesn't control, you may well be in a situation analogous
to "how do I stop people from viewing source code" -- ie, you can deter but
can't altogether stop a determined theft.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s
www.OnPointSolutions.com