[thelist] input type="image" value not being passed in IE6/XP

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 06:10:32 CST 2004

Hi

Sorry to ask but this one's taken me all morning so far.

I've a form with an input type="image", a value, and a name:

<input type='image' value='previous' name='p'
src='images/previous.gif' alt='See more recent news' title='See more
recent news'  onMouseOver="this.src='images/previouso.gif';"
onMouseOut="this.src='images/previous.gif';" >

In Firefox/Linux it passes p.x, p.y, and p=previous.

In IE6/XP it doesn't seem to pass the p=previous.

According to the W3C 'value' is optional in this case. Does that mean
it's optional to us as developers, or it's optional whether the
browsers support it?

And if 'value' isn't supported, I can't even seem to get PHP to work
with those p.x type values. Using (isset($_GET["p.x"])) doesn't seem
to work.

All I'm trying to do is work out which of the two images has been
clicked.

Apart from a brain, what am I missing this morning?

Thanks as always