[thelist] [PHP] Send it as plain html

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Nov 25 18:27:05 CST 2004

Message from Paul Bennett (11/25/2004 06:55 PM)
>Correct me oif I'm wrong but this is not a "special page" thing, it's an
>Apache thing. In the apoache httpd.conf file you can spcify that .html
>files will be given to the php interpreter for processing. php does it's
>thing and then spits out the resultant html.
>
>Someone far more knoweldagble than I will chime in on the exact how-to....

I'm not the more knowledgeable someone, but doesn't that mean that every
single html document, whether or not it contains php will be sent to the
parsing engine? Wouldn't that somehow translate into a waste of server
resources?

And to the original poster, who wrote

>>I saw somewhere within the last week, how to have a PHP page that the
>>browser actually thinks is html. It does everything PHP is supposed to do
>>on the server, but when it reaches the browser it has the .html
>>extension, not .php

The extension part aside, this is exactly what PHP does. The browser does
think it's receiving html, because it *is* receiving html. All the php code
is parsed server-side and converted to html.

Why exactly does your extension matter?

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/