[thelist] IE6 cookie hell (placing cookie from 3rd party sites)

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Nov 29 16:44:47 CST 2004

Hmmm,

I would check your IE cookie handling settings. Visiting the URL provided
doesn't bring up a "cookie blocked" icon for me. Are you accessing the site
using the same URL?

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Simon Perry
: Subject: [thelist] IE6 cookie hell (placing cookie from 3rd party sites)
:
: Hi All,
:
: A brief overview:
:
: I need to identify visitors that come to a site from an affiliate. I
: didn't want to add anything to the link URL on the affiliate site so I
: decided to go down the cookie route. I don't want to track them or store
: personal data in the cookie, I simply want to check for the existence of
: an affiliate cookie at time of purchase to be able to credit the
: affiliate. Now I accept that a percentage of users will have 3rd party
: cookie blockers or will regularly delete their cookies. What I wasn't
: expecting was that I would have such a nightmare getting a default
: instillation of IE to accept a cookie in the first place.
:
: What I have tried so far:
:
: Using PHP I have created a simple script to set a cookie with the
: affiliate ID in it and return a gif logo image.
:
: <?php
: // send compact privacy policy and policy link
: header('P3P: CP="NID DSP NOI COR",
: policyref="http://www.charterflights.co.uk/w3c/p3p.xml"');
:
: //set the cookie
:
setcookie("cfc_friend","aff_id={$_GET['id']}",mktime(0,0,0,date("m")+1,date("
d"),dat
: e("Y")),'/','charterflights.co.uk',0);
:
: // open the file in a binary mode
: $name = "../images/logo-left.gif";
: $fp = fopen($name, 'rb');
:
: // send the right headers
: header("Content-Type: image/gif");
: header("Content-Length: " . filesize($name));
:
: // dump the picture and stop the script
: fpassthru($fp);
: exit;
:
:  ?>
:
: I setup a test page [0] under my company domain to test this and it
: seems no matter what I do IE6 will not accept the cookie and displays
: the no entry "eye" sign. I have been reading about P3P and compact
: privacy policies all day but I'm none the wiser as to why this is not
: working. Mozilla and Opera are accepting the cookie each and every time.
:
: Any help, pointers or links to help me sort this would be very much
: appreciated.
:
: TIA
: