[thelist] Remote PC Program recommendations?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Nov 29 18:27:38 CST 2004

This is one option, though could be a little tricky if the problem is email
and/or Messenger itself :-)

Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your computer with
Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you -> Choose between
email/messenger to send the invite.

Otherwise, tightVNC or VNC

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Tony Page
: Subject: [thelist] Remote PC Program recommendations?
:
: Hi All,
:
: My 88 year-old, Mensa brained, Times-crossword-over-breakfast Mother
: (unfortunately intelligence does not appear to be hereditary) has decided
: that it's about time she got into computers and web-surfing from the depths
: of Charlotte Bronte's Yorkshire. I have bought her a quite reasonably
: equipped Dell which I will set up for her when we visit her this Christmas,
: and will also get on ADSL. She'll be running XP Home (and Firefox!).
:
: As I live in Sydney, Australia, it's a bit difficult to nip over there and
: sort out her Outlook etc woes at a moment's notice, so I'm looking for
: recommendations as to the best (read most solid) way to remotely access/fix
: her inevitable problems. My knowledge on this only extends to Remote PC
: about ten years ago. I realize XP has built in facilities, but are these
: enough? I'm running XP Professional on the network here and cable.
:
: Incidentally, if any of you guys in the UK can tell me whether I should go
: with Tiscali or BT ADSL I'd be grateful. Mega-speed is unnecessary, but I'd
: rather not shell out too much a month and it appears Tiscali is cheaper...
:
: Ta in advance,