[thelist] Search Engine - Zip codes/postal codes

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Dec 1 13:38:18 CST 2004

kent wrote:
> We've all seen web applications that ask the user to enter their
> zip/postal codes and then return a set of location based results - a
> list based upon nearest geographically proximity. <snip />

You know, this question comes up a lot on The List. Did you search the
archive yet?
http://www.google.com/search?q=zip+codes+site:lists.evolt.org
especially this recent thread:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20031215/152856.html

In a nutshell, I believe what you will need a list of all valid zip
codes, and with that come up with a set of zip codes within a specified
proximity (e.g. 10/50/200 miles), and then output a list of store
locations that have a zipcode within that set.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce