[thelist] FW: B2B Seamless login

evolt at weeb.biz evolt at weeb.biz
Thu Dec 2 09:56:30 CST 2004

Luther, Ron wrote:

> What I think you *might* be able to do is have the client company put
> a desktop icon on their users machines ... that icon could run an app
> to verify their internal NT authentication type stuff and match that
> to a separate db table (located at the client company) that contained
> a userid and password to allow _that_ employee to access your service.
> After validation, this app should be able to launch a browser window
> and send you an encrypted, SSL, moo, baa, whatever 'get' request with
> the login information to your service - which you could then validate
> on your end.  My guess is that is as close as you are going to get ...
> it wouldn't work from their 'favorites' menu ... but it would get around
> having them type in a separate login for your service.

No need for a standalone app, the same functionality could be achieved
with a really simple page on the intranet. In ASP that would be
something like:

    <%
    intranetAuthenticatedUser=Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")
    set Conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open "Some connection string"
    q="SELECT user, password FROM  WHERE intranetUser = '"& _
    intranetAuthenticatedUser & "'"
    set rsUser = Conn.Execute(q)
    user = rsUser("user")
    password = rsUser("password")
    rsUser.close
    set rsUser=nothing
    conn.close
    %>
    <head>
    <title>Ordering</title>
    </head>
    <form id="frm" action="https://some.page/somewhere/" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="user" value="<%=user%>">
    <input type="hidden" name="password" value="<%=password%>">
    You are being redirected.
    Click <input type="submit" value="here">
    if nothing happens within 10s
    </form>

This page would be bookmarkable (if added manually - obviously with
redirect it would not be addable by being on the page)

Regards
James