[thelist] "golden ratio" (WAS: 1.61)

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Mon Dec 6 14:05:52 CST 2004

>> In that case, I'm not sure how you would ensure that your content
>> would fit properly in an area restricted by both width and height - it
>> might be possible if the content was short and if all of your
>> dimensions were set in EMs, but that would create issues if the user
>> resized the text, etc. I really don't think the benefits of having a
>> content area constrained by the "golden ratio" would be worth dealing
>> with the numerous issues you'd have to fight with in order to make it
>> work.
>>
> how about oversize: auto? eg little boxes with scroll bars default to
> the right

Honestly, I think the unnecessary scrolling, especially if it were
sideways scrolling, would be extremely annoying and not at all
user-friendly. Unless someone else can point out a really worthwhile
benefit of your golden-ratio idea, I'd say don't bother.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com