[thelist] do not use the javascript: link protocol - why? (was: collapsible elements without using IDs)

Peter-Paul Koch pp.koch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 10:09:10 CST 2004

>  > P.S: Never, under _any_ circumstances use javascript: as a link
>  > protocol. It is a bad habit that MUST die.
>
> I think I know why you are (so adamantly) advocating this, but I'm not
> 100% certain. Can you fill us in, please?

The link is inaccessible without JavaScript, obviously.
Especially when this construction is used for popups and such, where
there actually is a file to link to, the inaccessibility is completely
avoidable and therefore just bad coding, no excuses accepted.
See Jeff Howden's all-time classic
http://www.evolt.org/article/Links_and_JavaScript_Living_Together_in_Harmony/17/20938/index.html
for the full argument.

Besides, using the javascript: protocol violates the separation of
behaviour and structure. JavaScript doesn't belong in the XHTML file,
it belongs in the JavaScript file. See
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/separating_behavior_and_structure_2/
for the full argument.

ppk, freelance web developer

NEW: Bug Report system:
Report bugs yourself, or comment on previously
reported ones.
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/