[thelist] problem with accented characters in email

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Wed Dec 8 08:55:36 CST 2004

I have an email ticket system set up on a client's site that works as
follows:
- a user goes to the "contact us" page, enters their email address, a
subject, and a message
- submitting the form sends an email (using ColdFusion) to the ticket system
- the ticket system (Perl, which I did not build) saves the message to a
database and sends another email to me and several other people
notifying us of the new ticket

The problem arises when users enter accented characters in their subject
or message; these characters come through with some kind of encoding
(e.g. "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Version_fran=E7aise_?="). If I set up the "contact
us" form to just email the message directly to me, everything works
fine, so the problem is obviously coming from the ticket system. I'm
guessing that the problem could be avoided by adding the correct headers
to the email sent by the ticket system - I'm just not sure what the
headers should be. These are the headers that seem to work in the first
email (the one sent by ColdFusion):

Any ideas? Should I add or remove any headers?

TIA

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com