[thelist] JavaScript Validation for Pull-Down Menus and Radio Buttons

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 10:27:25 CST 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Mark Kennedy wrote:

> If 'obj' is an HTML select object, then
>
> obj.value
>
> ...is undefined.  You have to use
>
> obj.options[ obj.selectedIndex ]
>
> to get a handle to an HTML option object.  So you could do:
>
> obj.options[ obj.selectedIndex ].value
>
> to get the selected value of the field.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Mark

[snip1]

You have to use
obj.options[ obj.selectedIndex ]

[/snip1]
----> How and where?

[snip2]

So you could do:
obj.options[ obj.selectedIndex ].value

[/snip2]
----> How and where?

I can't quite follow what needs to be done above.  I think I should add
that I  know very little about Javascript, and am stuck doing this in
an emergency situation.  Also, there are 4 different Radio button areas
in the form, and 2 different pull-down menus that I need to check.

If you could please be very clear in explanations that would be most
helpful. Thank you for the suggestions thus far!