[thelist] getting rid of the quote builder

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 10:35:32 CST 2004

On 8 Dec 2004, at 15:57, Alex Beston wrote:

> hiya evolt
>
> im thinking about ditching the quote builder on my site and replacing
> with a rate card - something from another age i admit - where you put
> your rates for different things:
>
> In the few months the builder was up not one single enquiry came off
> it! why? basically people were either trying to get a gauge of how
> much these things cost and merrily going onto someone cheaper. or. the
> contractors themselves wondering how much to charge themselves.

Alex

I've had a look at your quote builder, and have to say the prices seem
jolly reasonable (and even--IMHO-- a bit cheap in some places). To be
honest, if someone put together a quote with it, then went elsewhere
only because they were cheaper, I'd say "good riddance", as they'd
likely be the sort of client you don't want.

I have no empirical evidence, but I wonder if the reason you got no
business through it is that some of the choices are a bit 'technical',
and without the 'human touch' some potential clients might not have
known *what* to select, as they didn't understand what the choices
meant. Think how many clients you have that don't understand how to
forward an email, or type a URL into a browser, or think Google *is*
the Internet; then imagine how they would feel if presented with a
tickbox that says "Content Management" or "Standards compliant
template".  How many clients even understand the concept of pages and
links?

I also think its very likely that your average client has *no* idea
what he wants until you tell him.

I think that's why this has facility has failed, and that the problem
is with execution and support material on the site when going through
the process, rather than an inherent fault with the concept.

And I'm not sure a rate card would be any better without that sort of
support material.

As an in-house tool I think it works great. But, as you say, unless you
do a lot of virtual hand-holding, a prospective client just won't 'grok
it'.

Cheers

--
Andy Warwick