[thelist] Get excel files from html

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 12:37:30 CST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:07:33 +0100, Andreas Wahlin
<Andreas.Wahlin at ufl.gu.se> wrote:
> I'm also thinking about
> making it possible to save the data as a comma separated file, for easy
> import into other programs.

My advice is to do just that.

CSV can open directly in Excel.

Your other option is to create a native Excel file. I have done this
in Java using poi (http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/), and I'm sure there
is a COM object that you can use with ASP.

You will still run into problems because Windows is highly-extension
oriented, and the default filename to save the file as will be the
script/servlet outputting the file (you can supply a suggested
filename with an HTTP header, but YMMV).

What I did was use Tomcat's config files to name the servlet with an
.xls extension. You can do something similar with Apache and
force-type or similar httpd.conf/.htaccess directives. I don't know
how you would do it with IIS/ASP.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University